It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Mets Season Already Down the Toilet? And Marlon Anderson Hasn't Even Been Assigned a Uniform Number Yet!

http://readwritenow.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/toilet-in-japan.jpg
The sign the Mets won't even need if Johan's injury is serious.

Holy shit.

I can say it if nobody else will: if the Mets let Johan pitch in pain last waste-of-a-season, and it has anything to do with the elbow
tendinitis that is killing me slowly, well then 2008 is the gift that keeps giving...to the Philmes. I'm no doctor, but I hear tell that sometimes pitchers hurt their arms while they favor other tender parts of their bodies. The Philmes did everything they could outside of signing Tom Gl*vine to not improve this off-season, but once again, they luck into a good situation. The deck feels stacked.

Yes I'm back in the saddle, and it's not just cause I thrive on bad news. I take no pleasure in this news, proven by the $800 I have already dropped on Mets tickets so far despite my socioeconomic position and all reason. Johan Santana, too often, is the only Met I even like, and he is certainly the only one who earned my respect last year. Just when you thought there'd be no Hernandez brothers in the Mets rotation.

Can we ignore this and soldier on to talk about the Mets? When there's still time to sign Manny and save the season! Some are saying the Mets can still trade for a Roy Halliday type with the stock left in their farm system. Perhaps.

***
I tuned into the MLB networks Mets preview, and although it keeps Harold Reynolds off the streets, I was not impressed. I wanted to like it. Hell, it was on my calendar.

But “30 clubs 30 Days” sucks unless you don't know anything about baseball. And then it still sucks. John Hart commenting on the Mets? I rest my case.

Mets need to get off to a good start. They have David Wright. Omar fixed the bullpen. The commentary didn’t rise to the level of inanity.

http://digitalderek.typepad.com/sawxblog/photos/2006/hazel_resigns.gif
I'm not posting this to be creepy, I'm making a point.

Most of the show, perhaps wisely, featured Hazel Mae and her conspicuously well hidden breasts (she was very popular in Boston) reporting from Tradition Field. This is a focused team. Omar calls it baseball camp. Manuel tinkering with the line up. Hazel offering no insight that wasn't posted on IloveMets.com last week. Hazel talking to JJ Putz. The Mets are “built to win today” (an illusion to him bolting as soon as possible perhaps?). Hazel talking to Jerry Manuel. (Ok, we did find out that Jerry has a weakness: he says things that are on his mind.) Hazel talking to Beltran. Hazel talking to David Wright. Terrible show.

In fact, I'm not sure what to make of the new MLB network. What is it's purpose again, other than to run ads touting the network you're already watching if you can see them?

***
RE: Opening Day and any other Mets Ticket Lottery.

OK, they've been doing this for a few years now, and I've never even come close. Isn't it time to stop picking entirely random and maybe give emails that have never won a chance?


***

Word is that Ryan Howard lost 20 pounds or something. From Ryan Howard to Ron Howard in a few months . You mean to tell me that ain't suspicious? It's not like he has a good story, like Heath Bell.

***

Wallace and Vomit? Newsday is going to try to charge for website access. Ha! It's only a serious problem for us Mets bloggers, who rely on Wallace Matthews for space filling. Now, in lieu of Matthews air-tight arguments, I'll have to approach the delirious drunk who waits for the bus outside my apartment, occasionally defecating behind the bus stop bench for my topical Mets commentary. But seriously folks, who's gonna pay to read a tabloid on the internet?

***
Mets fans deserve a little luck. How about it?

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ryan Howard can gain 20 lbs in a week. I am not impressed. Hell, Luis Castillo can gain 20 lbs in a week. I don't even read Newsday websites now. I like Santana too. True the Phillies did not improve. But the Ph illies have shown that they playas they have to. The mets have not. The Mets curl up like shivewring puppies when the going gets rough. One can say we eliminated 20+ blown saves, but seasons are not mathematical progressions. If the Phillies have to win more, they will. They will probably double their value by beating us more, and we will be happy to oblige. We are marked. They have our number, and only massive injuries take them out of the picture.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, some brutal typos. That is what happens when you get worked up.

     
  • At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar's so-called basket strategy for the pitching, when you consider who we're talking about - Livan, Garcia and Redding - is more like a "tidy bowl".

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    yes the mind wanders towards the possibility that the phils could lose their mojo this season.
    I had some hopes pinned on Garcia, even though our fastballs are similar. I have no idea why.

    Manny in 2011!

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger Jaap said…

    I wonder if Hazel Mae were covering the Phillies instead of the Mets that Ryan Howard wouldn't swallow her whole and gain back that 20 pounds in one bite...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.