It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

HEAD! PANTS! NOW!


This time, the Reds refuse to be beheaded easily.


Well the Metsies squeezed out* the win and the split today. I'd like to tell you that I never doubted them, but the truth is, I was ready to throw in the towel today and yesterday. I'm not a good fan. More on that in a moment.

But first, I have to say: Ramon Castro is a blogger's dream. His enormous head gives opportunity for Mike Myers-related gags, some with the Shrek moniker though I prefer my own homebrew "Head!" which I have amended to "sleepyHead!." When he is not taking dubious trips to the disabled list, Ramon spends his time "haulin' that gargantuan cranium around," supplying some occasional power that makes Brian Schneider's starts more headscratching than the original trade for him. Ramon's penchant for sleeping in and throwing the ball into centerfield are not as endearing.

Anyhow, while Argenis Reyes deserves some props, Jose Reyes made a tastey error sandwich with 4 hits and a groaner through the wickets, and Robinson "Caruso" Cancel played the hero, my star of the day is Head! because his home run in the third made me happy and I didn't know what was coming in the fourth, a disaster that I'll let the mlb describe:

Pelfrey allowed his second home run, to Encarnacion, after the Reds had scored twice in the fourth. Ken Griffey Jr. led off with an opposite-field double that left fielder Marlon Anderson lost in the sun. Phillips' ground-ball single to right might have been handled by a first baseman better equipped than Delgado.


Go to 1:37 of this video to unlock the secret history of Ramon Castro's best nickname.

Argh. There are troubling signs galore in this one, not to mention this entire series. I present them along with the bodily noises I made when they happened.

With the Mets threatening in the 5th after Pelfrey and Marlon Anderson's defense conspired to ralph the game lead right back to Schott's Soldiers, even HEAD couldn't get it done. Then Endy does what a fringe player does and lines into a pathetic double play.

RAAR!!

In the 7th with the score knotted up again, I asked myself one tasteless question: would the Mets finally assassinate Lincoln? Tatis made it to first when a pretty good looking Lincoln curve ball got called a ball. With one out, the Mighty Head struck out. Followed by Chavez popping up the first goddamn pitch. Poor offseason planning=4th outfielders getting way too many at-bats.

GRRRR!!

Meanwhile, the Bad Reyes lets the easiest ball in the world go through the wickets in the 7th, signalling perhaps the return of Jerry's Kids, but then a friendly grounder turned double play helped the Mets get out of trouble.

Babababaabababa!

Endy fails once more in the 9th with a man on 3rd and two outs after Beltran gets thrown out at third trying to steal.

Grggiddygrrgiddy!

Then a bunch of good stuff happened like Red's errors and they're back into first place.


*I have always been of the opinion that a past tense for squeeze, squoze, should be instituted.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice job - two posts in such a short time! As I approach my Shea Goodbye destination to see how many Cards are up the Mets' sleeves and if we can slap a Padre or two around during confession, the moments of Philme truth are within distance.

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    Are you seeing more than one game?

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Optimism said…

    Man, your pessimism is awful.

    BTW (and maybe im a glutton for punishment for suggesting this), how come you haven't joined the chat in a while?

    Mind you i wont be there tonight (going to Shea), but you're better than half the trash who's been joining .

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger Optimism said…

    (Oh, huh..umm optimism is loran16 btw)

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm supposed to be going to two games, Mr. IMFM. Leaving tomorrow morning!! Of course, I'll still check in here and throw in my 2 pesos.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.