It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Thursday, November 01, 2007

There is no "Arod" in Team, but there is an "A-Met!"

So much in the news today. Anyone else reminded of those good old Steve Phil(my)lips winter carnivals? Particularly the one where we asked for Juan "Gone" (from the league) Gonzales for Christmas and almost got him until it came out that he was just playing us.

First, the Mets resigned Old Man Moises, which would be unremarkable except for how it suddenly impacts the Arod calculus. If Old Man is out there in left for 80 games or so, that kills the idea of "Wright playing Left."

Then Mike K-K-ameron got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. We don't know what substance he got nabbed with, and people are tending to assume its something small time (Greenies) since its only a 25 game sentence. But, I mean look at the guy if you don't think its the 'roids; he is huge. His traps remind me of my Honda Accord. Too bad, since he's such a nice guy and admired around any clubhouse he finds himself in. If I were him, I'd say I didn't remember doing anything since I hit on the head by the head of another Gold Glover.

I wonder if Wright will talk to Omar to get their stories straight by Daily Show showtime tonight? If not it could make for some interesting viewing if Jon Stewart reads the newspapers. And can stop talking during interviews for a minute.

***
This whole Arod thing has us chasing our tails. The Mets can fit him in to the budget, to the line up, just not into the infield. The next decision Omar makes could have big repercussions. And they resigned Alou to raise the level of difficulty. But think about it. What do you turn to me for if its not to solve all your problems? Here we go.

Proposal #1
Indecent proposal.
Know the joke (pardon me ladies), "I can't get 1 million dollars for someone to sleep with my wife, but I CAN get $50 2oooo times!"?

I say offer Arod $7.5 million per year. For 40 years.

Throw Bora$ a curveball.He wants a $300 million commitment? Let's give it to him. Built in incentive for him to stay in shape. And when Arod hits is in his 60s, he can be in charge of cleaning the teleportation deck at Citi-Microsoft-Starbucks Stadium at Apple Park.

Proposal #2
Move the Mets to the American League.
Problem solved.

Proposal #3
Tell Reyes arivaderche!
Sign Arod. Move Reyes to the Italian league until we figure it out. Like they do in basketball.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I still say get A-Rod and trade Reyes for Santana, while signing him longterm.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    what has Jose ever done to you Cver? Am i to take this that you dont see him as the face of the Mets future? Was it the dancing, failure to fully field his position...what?

    Whatever position we take on Arod, it is clear that this is a struggle for the soul of the ballclub.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Standing there like an idiot once at home plate could be chalked up to a brainfreeze or whatever, but after you've been warned/lectured about it and it's do-or-die September crunch time, it's something else. The guy must have been spoiled by success or something else. All I know is I'm not positive I want to stick around and find out. I'm totally into keeping him, but it's the only way we will get Santana and the only way that Reyes is expendable is by getting A-ROD. My idea solves all kinds of problems, but does create one more. A-ROD takes over shortstop, Wright stays at 3B, Santana is the ace we haven't had since Dwight Gooden. But we'd then need a leadoff hitter. Still, the only way, I repeat, the ONLY way that we will get a bonafide ace (and there are probably only 4 or 5 in MLB)in the next 10 years is probably by trading Reyes. How else can we get a bonafide ace of Santana's caliber? I don't believe he will ever hit the open market.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll add that what fan wouldn't want to have the face of their team's future as the best two players in baseball (A-ROD and Santana) with Beltran and Wright standing right next to them(?)

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    I feel ya babe, its just that homegrown thing I have. And I love Reyes like the child he is. Without him, the Mets become a whole lot less interesting to watch. Could we have an ace in a year AND arod? If santana or the like hit the open market has more to do with their agents, all things equal. I mean if they don't want to stay in Minnesota or whereever, then the moneybag Mets have a chance. That said, I want an ace too.

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, without Reyes, the Mets would be less intersting, as a generality. But, the same thing could be said for "without Pedro" and we don't even know if Pedro will be OK or get hurt again and retire. Santana, if he can stay healthy (and admittedly with a pitcher, that's always a risk), has the potential to be sick in the NL playing in what hopefully will be a pitchers park in Citifield. I just think that if we offered Reyes for Santana, they'd do it and if we offered Santana a market value contract, he'd sign it (8 years 200 million is probably what it would have to be). It's a lot of money and risky, but I DO believe that someone will make an offer to the Twins that they can't refuse and that offer will be contingent on signing Santana longterm. Who else is there? , Oswalt and Webb for sure - and maybe Peavy and Beckett qualify. Carmona, Sabathia and Verlander are holding up the rear of that list, but really only Oswalt, Webb and Santana have shown enough consistency over a long enough period up to the present to look like true bonafide aces at the moment. Smoltz could also be included, but he's too old to include here and he's a Br*ve. I already see some of that wide-eyed enthusiastic look on Reyes face fading. It might be time to sell high.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.