It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Monday, September 24, 2007

Mets Leave Florida on a Jai Alai!


Vince Neil was only one of several unfortunate ends the Mets avoided in Florida


The Mets are hanging from a ledge over a freeway with the villainous Philmes, and occasionally the rest of their sordid NL East conspirators, banging on Met fingers in hopes that our heroes grip will fail. The Mets are just hoping they can pull themselves up or at worse, drop down into the back of the passing playoffs truck.

Watching the Philmes-Gnats game, I knew that cheesesteak luck just had to run out. Chad Cordero, Met deputy for the day, was able to hold a 5-3 Gnat lead facing 2 men on in the 9th and as #32 struck out #21 to end the game, the Nationals were kind enough to set off a fireworks show in honor of the favor they just did the Mets. Here's hoping the Gnats can be as amiable tonight when they buzz into Shea's Pelfrey.

I am pissed that the pen once again made me gnash my teeth and lose hope after the Graybeard offense made my heart swell with it. But in this climate and with the Philmes ACTUALLY losing, a win is a win is a win. The pen is injured and/or overworked. The starters can not last into the games. Those are the facts, and if the Mets are going to pull off a miracle this year, these facts are going to be the context.

Omar Minaya made the news with a spirited and righteous defense of his centerfielder:

"If anyone questioned the guy's toughness, you're in the wrong business," Minaya said. "If anyone thinks Carlos Beltran is soft, go report on jai alai. Just going out there and going that extra mile. I've been around the game a while and I haven't seen a guy grind it out and tough it out like he has the last three years."

I for one, have never gotten over the improbable thrill of landing Beltran in the first place, and don't make a habit of criticizing guys who play with their heads bashed in. But this tendinitis (3 years of it?) has me a bit worried for the long term future. For the near future, I have the feeling that Beltran will be out there when it counts.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is it true that Beltran has had tendinitis for 3 years and are we, the public, first hearing about this now? Also, if he had it before he signed with us and knew about it, was that disclosed or picked up by the Mets? If there was any impropriety by Beltran or his agent, could or should an attempt be made to nullify or more realistically and preferably adjust the terms of the remainder of that contract.

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    yes AND we should make him take back what he said about going to the Yankees for less!

    Seeing as his agent was Bora$$, there was certainly some impropriety somewhere. Whether it would be actionable is another story.

    I dunno Cver, I hear different things so I don't know what the truth is. I thought I heard Ron Darling yesterday say he had arthritic knees and I don't know if that is the same as or related to tendinitis or what. Thus far, Beltran's injuries seem to have been obliques and massive head wounds. The bottom line is, do we have a guy who we are going to lose eventually to bad knees before his contract is up?

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keep your nuts covered, boys - one more nut-wrenching umbarrassment is a possibility! I hope not! Do us proud, kid! Somebody has to...

     
  • At 5:17 AM, Blogger Jaap said…

    I think it's all that love for Jesus that is making him ache...

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    Jesus love can take a toll on one's knees.

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So can I retract all the positive comments I've made about Glavine the past two years after that egg he laid?

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    we shall put that retraction in your file, 81. Can't promise you anything though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.