It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Friday, September 28, 2007

Mets Commit Cardinal Sin***





















Firing up the enormous system of tubes that is the wide world of webs is particularly difficult this morning, 'cause I know what's out there waiting for me. Angst and coffee don't go together. I guess I could make some eggs.
Miguel Cairo.

Our old scrappy, steroid enhanced, soul-patch enemies came into a lifeless Shea and quietly took care of business. And you thought the Cards were cursed? The St. Louis Phooies also delivered a message to the 2007 Mets: You are not the 2006 Cardinals. The Mets overcame a more or less solid pitching performance by apparently not even trying to score at all, to claim their loss. Note in your diaries, loss method #465.

I've spent September racing through all the well-known coping stages:

Vague sense of doom.
Over indulgence in sweets.
Jokey, confident rationalization.
Tic-developing disbelief.
Blind sputtering rage.
Deaf staggering rage.
Smug, finger pointing self pity.
Involuntary ground-kicking.
Mysterious bed wetting.
Muttering omnidirected hostility.
Pet abusing disgruntlement.*
Public tin-foil hat wearing.
Debilitating serial weeping.

Why is this all happening to me? Because I'm a human being, dammit.

There is only one thing left to do: live through it. This must be something like when your child paints a swastika on the school nurse. You are horrified, humiliated, and disbelieving, but it's still your kid and well, your kid is a good kid, even though its hard to see now or explain to human services. But what the f$!#@ is going on?

It was Nietzsche who first penned the now-cliche phrase "whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger." For our Mets, it looks like whatever is killing them is getting stronger and just killing them. Incidentally, Nietzsche himself died, syphilitic and insane, before his work was fully appreciated by the public.



Please baseball gods, please.

*No animals were harmed in making this joke. I do not condone pet abuse, particularly by star quarterbacks. I do, however, sometimes miss the good old days when you could smoke at a cockfight.**

**joke stolen from very funny comedian.

***Cver i forgot the title you came up with. Forgive me.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger springsandra said…

    I don't know if you still read my personal blog, but I got up this morning and reflected on last night at the game, and also posted it on armchairgm if you want to look...

    http://www.armchairgm.com/index.php?title=You_coast,_you_drown:_the_way_of_the_2007_Mets

    Just wanted to share... :) You still crack me up.

    -S

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    hi Sandra,
    I'll check it out!

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Jaap said…

    Quoting Freddy N certainly helps dealing with the demise of the Mets.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.