It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Phoey on Philly Lip-Phlapping: You Stay Classy, Philadelphia

http://ilovebubbadogs.com/bubbapress/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/rollin.jpg
Lucky for Rollins, he knows he can talk smack about the gutless cowards in Flushing and nothing will ever happen to him.


Not much to say about the World Series. At least no one watched it. The big news today is the way the Philmes are taking every opportunity to demonstrate their inferiority complex concerning the Mets. Perhaps it was just an attempt to draw some attention their way, but I'm still taken aback at how pathetic the Phillies are:

Rollins praises Santana, jabs at Mets



PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Jimmy Rollins made the most of another opportunity to take a dig at the New York Mets.

Speaking at Friday's celebration for the Phillies' World Series victory, the shortstop mentioned Mets left-hander Johan Santana and the crowd booed. But Rollins was loudly cheered after saying New York forgot one thing. As he put it: "It takes more than one player to bring home a championship."

I kind of feel sorry for them.

The Mets are so deep into the Philmes' pea heads, the Philmes even obsess about the Mets during their own championship celebration!! You'd think it'd be the other way around, but the Mets players probably aren't even thinking about it anymore, their time filled with playing golf and counting their money. They're not devastated--choking comes easier every year. Hell, Minaya already started bringing back the old pieces from last year's flop, re-signing Fernando (flash in the pan) Tatis and Carlos (now his career is probably over) Delgado. Omar wouldn't understand the old adage "quit while you're ahead" if he tripped over it and it bit him (topic for another day). But then there's Jimmy Rollins, unable to contain his own bitterness, besmirching his own championship by taking irrelevant potshots at the vanquished competition.


http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dZd0GJaNJ863/610x.jpg
Is Omar just a dope?

And no, I'm not too impressed by Omar's grasp of the failings of his team so far. To take that other old adage, the one about generals "fighting the last war" and mistakenly sticking to the lessons of the last battle when they don't necessarily help them win the next war. Wel I don't know exactly how it relates to Omar, but i do know HE LOST THE LAST THREE WARS muthafunka! In response to having an old and rickety team in 2006, Omar responded by signing or keeping the same exact old rickety guys (Stash, Old Man Moises Alou, Old Duque, etc), and even depending on them. Rinse and repeat for 2008, just add bullpen.

Now, in response to having to much dead wood on the team, it seems Omar has commenced retaining exactly the players that can be safely predicted to show an incredible decline from this year's performance!! [Editor's note: Bold means I want you to pay attention, italics mean I am hopping fucking mad.] Make no mistake, Fernando "It is better to look good than to be good" Tatis, at times lolked mahvalous. But remember back to watching the way this fella injured himself for the remainder of the season by diving incompetently at a catchable flyball and then try to imagine him taking up room on your world champion 2009 Mets. Can you do it? And yes, Carlos Delgado is a "bargain" when you factor in the ill-conceived buyout, but every week I get a circular full of bargains I could go buy at the supermarket: toothbrushes made from marshmellow, snacks stained with carcinoginic orange stuff, plastic disguised as edible fruit snacks. If they are things I don't eat, I don't go buy them. I have little self-control, but somehow I resist. And none of those items cost between $1.7 and $12 million. It's buy low, sell high, Omar. Don't forget the sell part.

Argh. Here's what Omar said.

“Carlos is a key part of our plans for 2009 and we wanted to let him know as quickly as allowed that we wanted him back.”

Why and why.

Are we fans the only ones who know how this is going to end? I'm running out of theories as to why Omar sees a way to improve the team (e.g., stop signing these old, declining guys) and runs the opposite way. It might be that Omar is just stupid.


Did somebody say "stupid"?

Labels:

18 Comments:

  • At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar is a buffoon and the Wilpons are buffoons for keeping him. I agree. Tatis will probably stink. He has no real position. He did hit well with RISP, but he is also someone who baseball ignored for 4 years. As a RH pinch hiltter he might have some use (in place of Easley). Delgado also should be gone. He is the acknowledged leader of this band of losers and for that he should be dispatched. The Pillies are pathetic. But their hatred for Jose Reyes is not unique. It is league widen. I am so tired of hearing people say that Jose "has to be Jose." So everyone else in baseball has to act llike a professional and Jose gets to acct like an idiot? He needs to shape up ofr be shipped out. We do not have to give every other team in the league added incentive to beat us. The Marlins had nothing to play for at the end of the last two seasons and found enough hatred to bang us out of the playoffs because they hated his guts. Omaar had better let this guy know that he needs to behave. But he won't. I can't wait for next year. We will finish third by more than a few games.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    I read that El Duque is a free agent! He would slot in nicely to the MEts rotation!!
    Omar needs to JUMP ON THAT!

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I doubt it. But Livan will be in play, no doubt.

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    i like Delgado, as a person, and occasionally as a player. But unless they trade him, and make a move for Teixeira, that's dumb baseball.

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Mets would be better served trying to get a guy like Youkilis. I know they cannot get him, but he is a guy I would like Wright to emulate. He will do anything to win, and he is professional. Beltran and Delgado try to win by trying to hit home runs. ( Reyes is thoroughly unprofessional in EVERY aspect of the game.) That is an iffy proposition. As good as Delgado was for that stretch, he is a home run hitter and they blow hot and cold. So he was no help when we needed him at the end. Wright followed their lead most of the time. These are bad traits to be developing early in your career. Have I said that Omar is a buffoon today?

     
  • At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know about the rest of you but the more I read comments from Omar (aka the Scarecrow)the more depressed I become. Why is he babbling about Lowe being able to close? Lowe is looking for starter money. Why is he interested in Ibanez (52 years old) or Javier Vasquez ("Omar has always liked him")? I have always liked my sister but she is too old to pitch in the majors. Vasquez has been inferior for a long time. I am also of the belief that Ryan Dempster's year was a mirage. The Mets always kill that guy. So I would like for Omar not to sign him. I can stomach Lowe. I will take Fuentes if he cannot do better. But here are my tests for Omar: get rid of Castillo and DL Castro, get a serviceable right hand bat for LF(superior to Tatis-who I think will probably bat .200 this year, sign Hudson, and trade Delgado. I think he could be a valuable chip at 12 mil a year. We certainly don't need his brand of leadership. Play Murph at first. And tell Jose to behave like a grown man and not a petulant child. Oh, and what is Marlon Anderson still doing on the 40 man roster?

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger katherine said…

    What, you didn't want them to sign Fernando?? He was so good! and he's not old. And he has a great . So I am happy about that move.

    Seriously, the Delgado deal made sense, but only if they go ahead and use the money they save to get some other really great hitter or pitcher.

    Has anyone heard anything about Angel Pagan?

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger katherine said…

    sorry I messed that up. I meant to say he has a great attitude.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    My point is there is little chance that Tatis will be as valuable next year. And his fielding is adventurous at best. But you never know, when omar resigned him, the Stash had his moments before being lost to catastrophic injury.

    My bias is really to get some fresh faces in here not go back to the same well that choked us last year.

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar always repeats. He brought Alou back because he had one great month. He signed Marlon and Marlon might as well be dead. He keeps bringing Castro back and all he does is add to his stays on the DL. Worst body I have ever seen. Sid Fernandez not included, of course. I heard Omar being interviewed tosday and I sunk into a deep depression. He is perfectly content with this lineup. We scored 799 runs. Yes, but not enough runs in the biggest game of the year. He is a thickhead.

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mr. IMFM!!! Excuse me for being a PHILMEONNEOUS MONK these last couple of weeks. My computer actually conked out at a pretty opportune time. I was spared all of the Philme Philandering - missed the entire World Series and only stumbled across the magic cure to my computer woes here in the bunker this morning. I did follow some of the exploits, including anecdotal evidence of a worthy team's success, which we will have to tip our hats to and hope that we can learn from. I have some catching up to do with your brilliant writings.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    PHILMEONNEOUS MONK ? I like it. Sorry to hear about problems in the bunker but I'm glad to hear you're back up and running.

    This winter, when I get through a busy time with my extra-Met responsibilities, I'm going to keep up the postings with some book reviews and some other time- wasting features. But this season wore me out and finding it hard to participate in the mindless hotstove mob until something is actually done that I can kvetch about. The mets need a whole new pen and a few new above average starters, then a big competent bat for the line up. Omar really needs to take out the trash. Yes we can, omar, yes we can!

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes and you are probably as depressed as I am about having a GM who is incapable of serious player evaluation or long range planning of any kind. Omar's idea of managing is to sign a guy and hope he plays as well as he did for one month last season, or in some cases five years ago. Hope is his idea of long range planning.

     
  • At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uh oh Jamie Moyer is a FA.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just heard the Fat Man on WFAN--apparently he has inside dope after talking to Omar. Mets are keeping Castillo for 2B. They are after pitching and more pitching. Looking at Jenks, Fuentes, Putz, KRod, Wood. They like their catching fine and their lineup fine. Will make an offer to Ollie. Interest in Lowe and Burnett. Ugh. No lineup changes. How will we score runs in important games with these chokers in the lineup? Oh well, the Fat Man is almost always wrong.

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Mets probably need to add about 10 to 12 players to make me happy and that's not gonna happen. I'd trade Church, who has some value, for sure, since I don't trust him healthwise. Of course, this could end up being his year, but I think there are some teams that would take a flyer on him and give us back something good. We need 2 starters, 5 relievers including a supercloser and a "closer-light". We need a second baseman, two outfielders (if we end up trading Murphy - otherwise just one), some bench players and a catcher. Getting Tex and trading Delgado wouldn't be bad either. If Omar is super-aggressive and is allowed to spend a lot of money, he probably could satisfy about 60% of my wishes and we could be a good team - maybe even great. Of the relievers, only Smith clearly deserves to come back - and maybe Feliciano. Of the starters, honestly we can only "count" on Pelf, since Santana and Maine have just had surgery, although I am hopeful for at least Santana to be OK for Game 1. Niese would be nice, if he can be what we'd like. Maine, we just have to hope will be OK. Then, hopefully we get Lowe and I'd like another quality starter - maybe a Wolf or Garland. Does K-Rod have some hidden health issues? I'm concerned about that. I don't know if Fuentes would be better though. Either one, I guess - unless we could trade for BJ Ryan or Howry. We should definitely try to get Beimel, too. 2nd base - the jury's still out. Lots of tough decisions. Mr. IMFM - let's get the hotstove burning!!!

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    Jdon and cver--i think we're on sort of the same page. I want a mini-overhall too. But until we see the Mets do something other than talk we have to watch the rest of the league.

    The yanks, by all reports, are making a big mistake i think. I like CC but he is too fat to sign to a 100 yr contract. I thought Ca$hman learned his lesson but i guess they need pitching.
    I do not want Peavy to go to Atlanta, so it looks like that's working out ok. Do not like where the pitching market seems to be going and its effect on Lowe. But how is CC NOT going to surprise everyone and sign immediately? THis hotstove could be over before you know it with the big player in the pitching market all but inked.

    I have to get my hotstove on.

     
  • At 3:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cver-I agree that the Mets need all that. which is a real condemnation of the job O.M. has done. the wilpons do not see that of course. having made this mess, do I believe O.M. has the skills t pull us out of it? well, he has the money. IMFM-C.C.'s knees will probably blow out long before his contract, a la Sid Fernandez. That is why I think the Mets will make every effort to sign him. I think Niese might be good. He needs to really improve on his changeup and calm down a little. I prefer Lowe to John Garland but would take either. This Castillo thing must be settled. Kind of reminds me of the Marbury thing. If Omar is not going to find a professional, clutch type offensive guy, we are still in a pickle. Wright and Reyes are learning from the wrong examples.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.