It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

MLB needs a Bresh of Freath Air: Let's Go Rays!!

The Rays deserve to win this World Series, particularly if you take into account Stephen Colbert's point that they are the only team to renounce the Devil before going all the way. Not some tired old franchise from a third tier Eastern city. So root hard for a Rays (or Red Sox) sweep. Hey, it's the only way we're going to get to root Scott K*zmir on to World Series glory.

Every year the Philmes have a new MVP, while the Mets seem to have a bunch of guys competing for MIP, Most Invisible Player, every Autumn. I expect Ryan Howard to win this year. Other than a burning desire to see the Phils go down in shame and collapse, I don't have much to offer. And I'm not above the sort of lazy, sometimes irritating, staccato postings of my "ideas" in brief.


Did someone say "highest bidder"? I think Omar's ears perked up when Manny started spouting off.

The more I think of it, the more I hope Omar can work a trade for a closer (or two). K-Rod is a disaster waiting to happen. And Fuentes is not worth $11 million a year.

I will believe a big Yankees spending spree when I see it. Ca$hman would be reversing course entirely and I just don't see it. They have more pressing needs than the Mets, and I'd expect them to go for Sabathia, Teixiera and Ramirez in that order. They still have a pretty impressive offense. But who knows?

Sad rumor news that Derek Lowe would prefer a West coast team. Happy news that Derek Lowe's bank still accepts the US dollar as currency.

Rafael Furcal. It is mindblowing for anyone who lives in Los Angeles and is familiar with Furcal's injuries to read Rosenthal on the Dodgers estimation of this guy: "Furcal made three errors in one inning when the Dodgers were eliminated by the Phillies in Game 5 of the National League Championship Series, but he is one of manager Joe Torre's favorites, a leader who excels in every aspect of his game." If this is true it just goes to show how fast a players fortunes can turn; when Torre was hired, there was even speculation that he was hired because he had the clout to bench players like Juan Pierre and Furcal!

No one is crediting my earlier diatribes against baseball journalists in particular as the worst of sports commentators, but at least some people are starting to get the idea.

***

Top Ten Scenarios Under Which Mets fans could Root for the Phillies

A poster Ian B at Amazin Avenue made a list of the circumstances which cheering for the Phillies would be thinkable, including the immortal "Phillies vs. Sheryl Crow." I would add my own as follows:


10. Phillies vs. Derek Jeter
9. Phillies vs. Small, yappy dogs
8. Phillies vs. Premature Ejaculation
7. Phillies vs. Sarah Palin
6. Phillies vs. Black Death
5. Phillies vs. Phillies 2007
4. Phillies vs. Marlins broadcasters
3. Phillies vs. US Postal Service
2. Phillies vs. Sadness
1. Phillies vs. Joe Buck

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger katherine said…

    Given the fact that my eyeballs are about to fall out from compulsive internet following of a. the economy and b. the election, it is amazing that at this point anything could make me laugh out loud, but your list of ten reasons to root for the phillies did.

    I have sworn off of watching baseball, but my mother just called me in high dudgeon to say that one of the announcers is ruining the Rays/Sox game by being too biased towards Boston. Is this true?

    Finally, re: the American dollar. You'd be amazed - despite the terrible stock market collapse, the dollar is doing GREAT. I can't understand it - it has gone way up in the last 3 weeks vs the euro and the canadian dollar. (Sorry I can't think of anything to say about the Mets).

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, the "improbable dream" is a step closer to fruition as the Rays have won the AL East and we can try to pretend that they are the 69 Amazin Mets and that Joe Madden is Gil Hodges. As far as things sunk this season for the real 08 Mets, it works for me.

     
  • At 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I cannot watch 3 consecutive innings of any baseball game. There is only one objective as far as I am concerned: defeat the Phillies. But they will still be be able to claim that they made it to the World Series. Even if they did not have to beat anybody.

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    correction: any post season game not involving our beloved mets

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    I'm proud of my blog as it has now reached a literary high point with Katherine's use of the phrase "in high dudgeon." I once did a play on a certain leading blog that has the motto, for fans "who like to read" with the goof that my efforts were "for fans who CAN read" but now I really have to rethink that.

    I watched several games, though I missed the end of the Sawx historic comeback. Now it doesn't matter anyway. I think the commentators have also made pro Rays comments. Watching baseball on that rug in Tampa is awful. Do the Rays have what it takes to beat the Philmes? I think so. My opinion is they beat the RS fair and square by being flat out better than them. And the Sawx are good. The Rays certainly earned their place there, unlike the Philmes who coasted through a couple of second rate teams. So there is reason to be hopeful for desire #1, the humiliating defeat of all that is Philme.

    A sweep is what we need.

    In sadder news, there is an article which, without a hint of irony, calls Joe McEwing the or a classic NY Met. Sad but true.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/70530-joe-mcewing-a-look-at-the-classic-new-york-met

    History is so cruel.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I actually used the word "fraught" today, albeit in an attempt at self-deprecating humor. Katherine, I hope blogging lowers your dudgeon soon. I see David Pryce as the temporary closer the Rays need. Next year he probably will win 15+. The Yanks are probably distraught at the prospect.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.