It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Best Off Season Suggestions So Far

2008:
[never+again+sheaorangeblue.jpg]

2009:
Wally Matthews, that great friend of the truth, thinks the Mets were just not good enough. Fair enough, how do the Mets get better? How do we wipe away the taste of this season? Are there any among the 191 agents of freedom that might contribute to the answer? Before each and every one of these free agents utters the immortal sentence "I'd like to come to NY," lets check out a preliminary look at the realistic possibilities people are focusing on so far:

**Cash Pit (Pick one)
Big Market clubs need at least one big gamble. That's just the way they are.

Manny Ramirez
pro-man: me, uh other cool people.
con-man: Lupica, Borden, Wally (though it's not clear why, since by his logic Manny would destroy the Mets--precisely Wally's fondest dream--which would leave less work for Wally?).

C.C. Sabathia 300 pounds of #1A starter too tempting to dismiss out of hand. But are the Mets really poised for a bidding war?

K Rod
I think we've heard enough about this. But what are the options?

**Second Thoughts?
(Stay or roll the dice?)

Orlando "Calrissian" Hudson
He "yearns to play for the Mets." In Star Wars, he was kind of a traitor, but he comes through in the end. Wants big money, is defensively fartsy.

http://garlinggauge.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/lando6-2.jpg
would you trust this man?

Brian Roberts this ain't such a bad trade idea.

Stick with Daniel Murphy and his expensive valet Luis Castillo: probably closest to happening.

**Pitching Palooza (pick two?)

D. Lowe is magic. I haven't heard a good reason not to throw some change at this dude. But can the Mets buy Lowe, sell high?

Ok, I clearly have nothing here, nothing but the conviction that adding two top five starters and a couple AAA guys would be a good idea. If not CC, then Lowe and who else?


**Bullpen Bonanza
(pick five?)
Is there anything anywhere that needs something more than the NY Mets need a bullpen? The Mets must get rid of Aaron Heilman if they ever want to look in the mirror again, and those who choose to ignore the obvious, well they are wrong. Someone can only truly be called a "scapegoat" if they haven't done the thing they're being blamed for. Aaron, you ain't got to go home, but you can't stay here. I'd like to see the pen get different and hard throwing in that order. Here are a couple of names people are throwing around:

Will Ohman, Damaso Marte, and Dan Wheeler
(Rob Harding, Hotfoot)

J.J. Putz, Joakim Soria and Huston Street
(Metsblog)

Filter all these choices through length of contract, insurance, and draft pick concerns (though not money concerns since the Wilpons and their price hikes can go !$?%# themselves %#@$), and I think we have ourselves a plan.

Any suggestions?



http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/575000/images/_578593_bird150.jpg
"Well Hello!"

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "It's A Sheame" is absolutely brilliant. Did no news media outlet (like the Post or Daily News) use that one? Amazin'! Y'know, the points that Mark makes about Heilman and the history are all true and up until this season, I was in agreement that Heilman deserved the benefit of the doubt, at least to try and stop mismanaging him and get him on track to be the success that he was before he left Indiana. Now, even though he probably will be a success, to some degree, as soon as he leaves the Mets, I'm done with him. The thing is we need guys that don't cry on the mound. That's just for starters (no pun intended). If I were Omar, I'd apologize to him on behalf of the organization and give him a good reference. He is a poster boy for "needing a change of scenery".

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you trying to get Exxon Mobil to sue you, so you can get some free publicity or have you merged with Mad Magazine?:)

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    I too for many years did not want to "mismanage" the asset that Heilman was. Until the 2006 playoffs. He is now just a psychic and material liability. Three years of dependable awfulness is quite enough. Getting rid of Heilman is the change you can believe in.

    I NEVER heard that story about what the Jacket said about Heilman early on. Wow. No wonder he turned into the Poopieface we all know.

    It seems to have any creditability in today's competitive blog world, one needs to have at least one big corporate sponsor. So I figured I'd tout my new sponsor (the Bolivians and Sheppy both pulled out of my capital group when the ecomony tanked, and i kept putting cursewords in my posts) and see how long I could get away with it.

    Ever since I received a cease and desist email in regards to another blogging project, one which revolutionized the field of ballplayer impersonation blogs (BIBS) I might add, I am ready for all legal challenges and well represented by the law firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.

    GO DODGERS!

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is that Art Howe? Oh yeah, The Jacket said that supposedly right in his earshot - if true, what a clumsy asshole. That would have been grounds for dismissal for the Jacket right there, if I was in charge. I mean, what kind of pitching guru or human being, especially one who is supposedly a zen buddhist or something, does that? Hopefully, for everyone involved's sake, that story isn't true and it is another attempt by some scum in the Mets front office (maybe even Omar) to shift the blame. I hate to admit, that most of what Wallace Matthews wrote, I found to be right on target.

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am not going to cry for Aaron Heilman, who blew the pennant in 2006. Peterson was a prime douche, though. I have hated Heilman since Molina day. And he has not disappointed me. Perhaps we can package him and Shitweiss for an even more horrendous reliever? 2 for 1 is still better than these 2. I am confident the Scarecrow will try to sign some really expensive FA and essentially ignore the BP and the bench. Naybe K Rod, maybe Manny, although I doubt Manny would come. Do not bring A J (I only stay healthy in my walk year) Burnett. Or Brad Penny, who is a 280 lb baby. Lowe yes. Sabbathia why not (it ain't my money)? Hudson does not thrill me to the max, but I do not hate him. He has gotten seriously hurt the past two years, a bad sign. Get some right handed pop, move Delgado if possible, get younger. That's about it.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    IMFM, I'm guessing you are gonna do your next post as a riff on Beltran and his wife renewing their vows with J-Lo and Marc Anthony this weekend in Vegas.

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, you can look at the season and say: "If we only had Wagner"....or...."If only we hadn't blown 72 saves"....stuff like that. And all we have to do is add an effective closer and we will easily make up the 2 games we lost by. It just does not work like that. What were we going to do, win 112 games? Lidge did not blow a single save this year. We blew over 30, I think. We were not 30 games better than Philly. I personally believe that if we had everyone healthy we would still have lost by 2 games. Because we are a flawed team. We have losers in key roles in our locker room. I know there is no statistical explanation, except the one that shows we have blown it for THREE straight seasons, but that is the way it is. Here is my advice to the Scarecrow (Omar): trade ANYONE you want, except Santana. We have no ACES in our everyday lineup. If Delgado is the leader in the locker room, then the results show that he is a bad leader and he should go. I just wish I had a different G.M. to give this advice to.

    (I accidentally posted this on the last blog. Duh!)

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, I am reading Cerrone's piecemeal interview with the Scarecrow and I am getting more and more depressed. I don't comment there, because my comments started disappearing every time I tried. This interview is so disheartening. I may not continue reading it. The man is so dense. The guy just doesn't have the skill sets......

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    i see that interview series jdon, but i have to work up the courage to look at it. Omar just doesn't say much of any note usually. I did see his comments about the bench and it doesn't seem he is learning.

    Whether you think this team needs a heart transplant, or just a tweaking, it's going to be a stressful off-season with a lot of dollars potentially chasing the same 4-5 guys. Not that the Mets ever do bad when it comes to throwing money around. I just hope it will be at the right guys. My big fantasy of the day is that M Teixiera suddenly wants to be a Met and Omar trades Delgado back to the AL where he's more suited.

    Ruin your breakfast here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-10-15-top-free-agents_N.htm

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    his idea of fixing a bullpen is to bring in 15 unsigned guys and see who survives ST. that does not main they are not usually shit by June. how about a little evaluation, Scarecrow?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.