It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Friday, February 01, 2008

Holy Funking Whoopdie Wow!

It's all over but the coughing.

Johan Santana and the New York Mets agreed Friday to a $150.75 million, seven-year contract, a record for a pitcher, and now the only thing to be nervous about is the physicals of all players in the deal. So the Mets will pay him about $21.5 mil a year.

Let's thank god one last time that Omar did not land Barry Zito. Zito received a $126 million, seven-year deal from the San Francisco Giants which looks, for lack of a better word, retarded now.

This week was Santastic!

Br*ves already bitching

Following up on Larry Jone's dissing of David Wright a few months ago, Tim Hudson flaps his gums to let the press know he thinks he's as good as Santana:

"It's not like he's unbeatable," Hudson said of Santana. "He did get hit around last year. If you put Smoltz up against him or me up against him, it's a toss up. Obviously, he can go out there and dominate games. But so can some of the pitchers on our club."

"He's just one player," Hudson said of Santana. "He pitches once every five days."

The article continues it's drive through fantasy land:

Those who have yelled, "Glavine is finished" simply because he struggled in his final three starts might want to realize that he was 2-2 with a 4.97 ERA in his final seven starts. Granted there is a significant age difference. But the fact remains that even the game's best struggle.

"Glavine is finished!" That felt good.

BallHype: hype it up!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hudson looks like a specific inmate that I remember from the prison series "OZ". Look, I'm not gonna get into our guy's better than yours - first of all, he's not our guy yet. And second, I always find this stuff distasteful. I'm sure hoping that our team will learn to do it's talking on the field by kicking some serious hillbilly butt all year long. What a wonderful day, a wonderful week. I'm just cautiously optimistic. I'm not gonna piss on this wonderful accomplishment. It's just that I've been through stuff like this before. I remember how "can't miss" Mr. Hall of Fame Robbie Alomar was. The amount of years of consistency that guy had was astounding! Met luck took him into a black hole, obscurity and buried him as a HOF candidate. That said, if there ever was a guy for us to get, this is him and I actually have to work hard to restrain my excitement - let alone that pitchers and catchers are two weeks away!!!!!!

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    i expect Omar, our Milledge Idiot, to be wearing a shit eating grin when he holds that jersey up to Santana. And he deserves to grin. Grin away buddy, I'm watching Church very carefully. Schneider and church better damn be gritty as hell. This team needs some gritty.

    i'm actually happy toothless is back with the hillbillies. Gives my waning hatred of the br*ves (due to their irrelevance) a kick start.
    As for their hill-billies, if Mike Hampster comes back somehow, they would have a formidable bunch on the hill. Except that Glavine really sucks and the smoke and mirrors are gone. I expect a mid-season retirement for him.

    I think the Mets will be good, Celtics good. But I am a homer.

    Johan takes the pressure off of the rotation. I hope they (ollie and johnny) focus on lasting deeper into games. Im with Mex--the modern starting pitcher is a sissy. Johan goes deep, so perhaps they can pick up some pointers (economy).

    Think the Mets will pick up another starter?

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope not, unless it's Bedard. Well, it's interesting that you mention those two BR*VES, because now they are the "Ghosts of Mets Pitchers Past". One was a fairly ill-advised (but it seemed good at the time) signing (Glavine) and the Hampton was a case of Steve Phillips deserving some credit for dodging a gigantic bullet. Makes me think about the risk of the giant contract to Santana, but you've got to do it. I think he will be fantastic for us, if we leave him alone and let him do his thing - and yes, John Maine and maybe even some of the pen can learn tricks from him and Pedro (and Ollie too, but will we keep him?). I hated the Milledge trade at the time and still do, but that was when I thought that Lo Duca should have been re-signed. Now, I don't want Lo Duca anywhere near our club when their are reunions of the NL East champs. He was a juicer and should be booed when he comes back. I am getting excited and hopeful that Church will at least be as good as Nady and Schneider will at least be as good as Jerry Grote. If folks can play to their norm (except for Show - just get rid of him or let him prove me wrong and become his "old self" - maybe his injury will heal), with one new player like Santana, we're a different team, it seems. The oddsmakers definitely think so - second most likely to reach the series now - more likely than the Yanks now.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    Horror-Show--what is going on with him? He's like a black hole of information. He was injured, pitched through the injury. Then he was nabbed with some kind of PED, and I'm assuming is suspended for some time. He is also around for two more years if I remember. So is he in recovery?

    Maybe Mr Afterthought (AKA "Mr.I Resigned the day we got Johan" AKA "the other Pedro") will take the opportunity of Showenblow's absence to assert himself in the pen.

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think that there was not enough information to punish him for anything if I recall correctly. So, we are probably stuck with a liar and a cheat, in that he claims that this was somehow used to treat his cancer (but he didn't get them from an oncologist as I recall, but from some lowlife). I'm sketchy at this moment on what is known and innocent until proven guilty and all of that, but I'm not pleased to have Show around and wasn't ever. Yeah Feliciano has been really good. I sure hope Mr. Smith Goes To Flushing and prospers.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    I'm still upset that Mr Milledge went to Washington.

    I have perused the schedule for games happening in cities where i happen to have an unsuspecting relative. I am thinking of busting a serious baseball move this year and seeing me some Mets on the road.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.